The Keath Killebrew Charisma Award Fund
Keath Killebrew, co-owner and farmer with the Killebrew Cotton Company in Tchula , Mississippi, dreamed about farming and ranching as a young boy. He accomplished everything he ever dreamed of because he woke up every day on his knees and then used the hard-working hands, big heart and brilliant mind God gave him. Keath never gave up. He died trying to accomplish a new dream in another country and although his life was cut short, he lives on in the lives of his family who have vowed to continue his life’s work.
Keath and his twin brother Heath, have row crop farms spread throughout 6 counties in Mississippi. They farm cattle and bees also. Keath was not just a farmer, he was an artist who lived life with urgency and adventure. He believed that you have to try in life to accomplish anything. The Killebrew family has set up an award fund in his name called the Keath Killebrew Charisma Award Fund that will be given to a young person who is passionate about agriculture and helping others in this field.
Keath Killebrew used his spiritual grace, knowledge of agriculture, love of people, sense of adventure, and passion to make the world a better place as a vessel to share God’s love and grace. The Killebrew Charisma Award Fund seeks to continue his life’s work through helping a young person who is passionate about agriculture and serving people through their future career.
This award fund invites applicants who are currently high school seniors who have a proven work history, who are passionate about agriculture and helping others, and who will be majoring in agriculture or a related field. The minimum award will be $1,000 per recipient. Multiple awards may be given.
Please fill out the following application and upload these items:
1. Resume to include education, work history, extracurricular activities, volunteer and community service, and other relevant information.
2. Video introduction and statement (*see video content and submission guidelines below). Using your phone, tablet or other device, record a short (no longer than 3 minute) video that contains the following information:
- Personal introduction.
- Why you are passionate about agriculture.
- How you can use your knowledge of agriculture to help others.
3. Two letters of reference on your behalf. The content of the letters should include:
- How the person knows you.
- Description of your work ethic and interpersonal skills.
- Examples/evidence of your desire to help others.
4. Response to the following essay prompts. The responses must be submitted as a .pdf document, 12pt Font, double spaced, maximum 500-word limit for each prompt. Please save all responses in one file, with the prompt identified at the beginning of each essay.
- What are your long-range career goals and what you need to learn to achieve them?
- Keath Killebrew lived by the analogy “What you put into life is what you will get out of it.” Reflect on that statement and how it applies to your own life philosophy.
- Reflect your personal point of view on your most significant challenge or accomplishment and its value to your life
- How would you describe your passion for agriculture and how you share it with others?
*The video can be recorded from your cell phone and uploaded on the application site, but it is preferable that you upload the video to YouTube or other video transfer application and share the link in the appropriate box on the online application.